Pan Seared Flat Iron Steak with Cranberry Walnut Wheat Berry Salad
This cranberry walnut wheat berry salad is seasoned with balsamic vinegar, parsley, goat cheese and lemon. Flat iron steak is a more affordable cut of meat. This steak is best cooked medium to medium rare. Cutting the steak against the grain will help to make the meat tender.
- Flat Iron Steak (Uncooked) - 6 ounce
- Wheat Berries (Uncooked) - 0.5 Cup
- Walnut Pieces - 1 tablespoon
- Dried Cranberries - 1 tablespoon
- Parsley (Fresh) - 2 teaspoons chopped leaves
- Goat Cheese (Crumbled) - 2 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice - 2 teaspoons
- Balsamic Vinegar - 2 teaspoons
- Boil water in a medium pot for wheat berries.
- Wash, dry and chop parsley leaves.
- Cook wheat berries according to the package. It should take 40-50 minutes for them to be cooked to soft. You will drain the extra water off.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a skillet to medium high heat.
- Season both sides of steak with salt and pepper before placing it in the hot skillet. Cook 3-6 minutes on each side depending on desired doneness.
- When wheat berries are done- mix it will the dried cranberries, walnuts, goat cheese and parsley.
- Mix about balsamic vinegar and lemon juice together. You can use as little or as much of this mixture as you like. This is your dressing for the wheat berry salad.
- Season the wheat berry salad with your dressing, and toss together gently.
- Once your steak has had about 4-5 minutes to rest, cut against the grain and enjoy.